Skip to main content

Gouache Study at Selma's Garden

Gouache Study - Selma's Garden
Gouache Study - Selma's Garden
While my wife was attending a dyeing workshop at the T. C. Steele Historic site I decided to paint a gouache field study of the entrance to Selma's garden. The garden was recently restored to what it would have been when Selma created the garden. I intended to only paint a cluster of flowers, but the temperature hit 92, so the only shade tree I could find was at the garden entrance. I spent about 2 hours on the painting, but it was enough to capture the scene and lighting as the afternoon sun hit the daffodils. Instead of doing another painting I spent the remaining hour swinging on the porch swing at the House of the Singing Winds.  Since it was a Sunday afternoon, there was no noise from workers on the grounds so you could easily imagine what it was like for T. C. Steele and Selma to live there and the peaceful environment the location provided.  As I relaxed in the breeze and the sound of the frogs in the goldfish pond I thought what a change it would have been for them to move from the hustle and bustle of city life in Indianapolis to what was a pretty remote location for the time. I guess the beauty and endless paint subjects won out over what the city had to offer. I would recommend anyone to visit the site to learn more about Steele's life, hike the grounds or send the day plein air painting in the footsteps of Steele

Links

T. C. Steele Biography
T. C. Steele Studio Centennial Party
2017 T. C. Steele Spring Festival of Flowers Plein Air Paint Out

Comments