Skip to main content

Painting Yellowwood Lake in Oil (5)

Expanding Your Artistic Horizons Series

Painting Session 5
Date: 06/23/2017
Subject: Yellowwood Lake, Brown County Indiana
Medium: Oil on Paper
Link to painting sessions: Session 1. , Session 2.  Session 3Session 4


Yellowwood Lake End of Session 4
Yellowwood Lake
End of Session 4
Getting close to being done with this painting, one more session should be sufficient. Spent the day adding in the lighter values and some highlights on the middle and foreground trees. I also add in some details in the water to hopefully give the water a little more movement. Probably will not add any more because I want the lake to look calm but not completely still. Added in more grass and detail in the foreground still, have some minor work in that area before it is finished. The more I work with oil on paper, the more it seems to behave similarly to smooth gessoed panels. I also like the look I can achieve with the paint. I think I need to change the farthest trees in the background. The trees in session 4 seemed to light, so I keep changing them, and they ended up too dark. I will work on that in the next session, add a few highlights and clean up the cattails in the foreground.

Comments