Skip to main content

Painting Yellowwood Lake in Oil (1)

Expanding Your Artistic Horizons Series

Painting Session 1
Date: 04/30/2017
Subject: Yellowwood Lake
Medium: Oil on Paper


Photo of Yellowwood Lake Brown County Indiana
Original Photo
I came across an oil on paper I had started a few years ago at Yellowwood Lake in Brown County, Indiana. I had bought a pad of 9 x 12 Canson 136 lb Canva-Paper ready for Oil thinking I would use the paper for quick field studies instead of canvas. After a few attempts, I quickly lost interest in using paper for Oils. Initially, I did not think it would be much different than canvas, but the paper has its own characteristics. The paper comes prepped for oil painting, but the paint soaks into the paper to quick to manipulate the paint. As part of my effort to expand my artistic horizons and explore new mediums and techniques, I decided to finish the painting and give the paper a second chance.




Original Unfinished Painting of Yellowwood Lake
Original Unfinished Painting
The Picture titled "Original Unfinished Painting" was my first attempt a couple of years ago at using paper. I can't remember any of the details and how much time I spent painting but from the looks of it, not very much time. When you paint on paper, I am not sure you treat it the same as painting on canvas. If I start painting on paper more, I will research the internet for more information. I have always mixed my own mediums but recently started using Liquin. So when I started on the session 1 painting, I noticed the paint did not soak in as quickly, I am not sure if it is due to the second layer of paint or the liquin. Also, I am painting indoors from a photo, so I suppose it could be related to humidity, temperature, etc. It still seems to soak in a little quicker, but you do have time to move your paint around just like on canvas or gesso boards. Now I am anxious to start session 2.


End of Session 1 painting of Yellowwood lake
End of Session 1 Painting

Comments