Skip to main content

How to Paint a Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly in Acrylic Session 3

Subject: Eastern Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly on Apple Blossom
Date: 03/30/2018
Painting Session: 3
Medium: Acrylic on Illustration Board
Previous Sessions: Session 1, Session 2


This session was dedicated to working on the flowers and the leaves with most of the time spent on the flowers. I made multiple passes on the flowers trying to work in the gradual color variations on the flowers. But I was always fighting the quick drying time of the acrylic paint which limited my ability to achieve a smooth change in color and soft edges. I tried adding fluid retarder along with flow release which helped a little, but the paint still seemed to dry within seconds. The good thing about acrylic is the drying time which allows you rework an element in your painting in a short period. But the trade-off, at least on paper and board is the paint dries to quick. I finally got to the point I was re-working the flowers and seemed to not be making any progress, so I decided to move on to the leaves. I laid down more color on the leaves and added additional leaves to balance out the composition. Still, more work to do on the leaves, flowers, and butterfly but I am making some progress.



Comments