Skip to main content

Expanding My Artistic Horizons

Expanding My Artistic Horizons

Paint for yourself, not for juried shows

Lately, I noticed that painting is more like work than fun, and I don't look forward to painting. Not sure if this is the only reason, but a few years ago, I set a goal for myself to get my work juried into some major art shows here in Indiana. Since then, it seems I only paint to achieve those goals putting off the things I want to do as an artist. I am stuck on trying to create the perfect landscape painting with the ideal composition and subject matter.  This quest has led to some lousy painting behavior. While I am painting, I am never satisfied with the results and continually change my composition. This has led to so much frustration that I never seem to finish a painting. I get so tired of painting the same picture  I just stop and put it aside and may not pick up a brush for months.  As I painted, I would think to myself  I really would like to try watercolors, spend time sketching, or spend time painting different subjects. In my mind, I was always coming up with things I would like to do artistically, but the quest for the juried painting would still pull me back in for another session.

Recently, after spending countless days, weeks, and months on a painting and multiple re-works, the painting ended up in the corner of the studio. Looking back over the months, I realized I had accomplished nothing and knew this had to stop, or I was going to quit painting for good. After some reflection, I decided to start painting again for myself, not letting anything interfere with doing the art I wanted to do.  I decided to do the things I had been putting off over the last few years while being wrapped up in the quest for the juried show.

Below are some of the things I have wanted to do

1. Paint for myself and the enjoyment of painting.
2. For fun, try new mediums and techniques.
3. Do more outdoor sketches and field studies.
4. Spend more time plein-air painting.
5. Paint other things besides just landscapes.
6. Spend time working on my drawing skills
7. While having fun painting try to improve my skills

I plan to write a series of blog posts titled "Expanding Your Artistic Horizons" as I explore my own horizons.

Comments